Saturday, August 20, 2011

Thoughts on recording my life

If I were to keep a diary, I would write poetry, copy quotations, and record my mistakes. I doubt that I'd be proud of it if someone found it.
I feel like if I were to carry a diary around, it would be useful. I could keep a fairly accurate record of my life as long as I do it at that time and not at the end of the day when I'm more likely to skip the embarrassing details. Emotions are more fleeting than I can recall, I do believe.
If I were to keep a diary, I might develop a better writing voice because I would be writing more often and maybe organizing those pages into posts.
Come to think of it, I am not so sure that I need a diary. I feel like I leave traces everywhere for my future self to find. I can already see bits of myself a few years ago from old accounts and assignments. I also write on note cards all the time and write on loose pages so that I can hide them among assignments while I'm at college.
Back to my traces, I currently use 3 e-mail addresses. On some regular basis I use my accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, Gaiaonline, Maplestory, Mabinogi, deviantART, Blogger, Youtube, Hulu, Ravelry, Netflix, Textfugu, and online shopping sites like ebay and Amazon. I also use my iTouch to use apps and listen to podcasts. Oh, yeah. iTunes account. I use iGoogle for feeds. I have a Flickr if that means anything. That is not even everything.
I feel like my traces are everywhere. I am kind of okay with that. My notebooks are somewhat scary to go through. Reliving some old emotions is unpleasant. Very humbling though. In some ways, I am exactly the same as I was 8 years ago. In others, I have improved (and declined).
This is all to say that I will continue leaving myself everywhere because I am a person now. I use the Internet and I move outside of it. There is no avoiding it because I want to remember myself. Part of me doesn't, but I like using all of these services and absorbing this content and sharing it, so I have to continue to remember who I've been. Who I've been is essentially who I am. Right?
Until the next post in which I talk about myself too much, take care. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment