Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Day After the 4th

Independence Day was mostly great. I nicked my ankle in the shower (looks more like a gash because it's so long), went to church with Diane, baked cookies, played card games, played 2-hand touch football in a dress and jammed my left pinky finger in the process (totally fine, just a bit swollen), ate yummy food (like Kelly's flag cake-yum!), watched and took pictures (which are sprinkled in this post) of the fireworks, and played fetch with Kelly's dog, Chella (sp?). I wish I had pictures of football and all that jazz, but I was experiencing it. Be proud. I participated in a celebration and felt good about it afterwards. :)
The 4th aside, I've been reading, watching movies and such, and knitting, as usual. I just finished watching "The Lake House" a few minutes ago. I had wanted to see it when it came out but didn't get the chance. I wish I had made sure I was given the chance. I like it. It's such a sweet movie. Reminds me a bit of "Someplace In Time" minus all of the musical corn and cheese (in other words, the cheesy/corny music really bugged me) and overall improvement. It's one of the romances that I actually want to own like "A Walk to Remember" (I like the book more yet differently. Both made me want to cry.) and "The Notebook" (more because it's a classic than expression of how much I like it).
As for reading, I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See a few days ago. Beautiful book. I highly recommend it to everyone. It's one of those books that's worth every second of time it's given. I started reading For One More Day by Mitch Albom and I like it so far. It's one of those books that I could finish in a couple hours, but I just don't read all at once. A thriller is worth reading in one sitting; nearly everything else can be spread over a longer time.
I knitted a hat in a few hours for Claire over a week ago, a scarf for Diane, and now I'm on a scarf which has no owner yet. Several people have seen me work on it, but I haven't noticed someone who gets that look. You know, the look that someone gets when they see something that was just made for them or they experience something that they were meant to do. I guess it's like falling in love at first sight without the following commitment. :P I'm only guessing because I have not yet fallen in love. Anyway, Diane said she'd take the scarf it no one else wants it, but that'll be 3 scarves after I make another that she specifically asked for. I want everything I make to go to someone who really wants it. Not just a taker or a courtesy buyer; a true owner. I guess it's a bit idealistic to hope for that to happen to every single thing I ever make, but it's a good thing to hope for. The world needs more of those special moments when something is clearly and wonderfully meant to be. It's comforting, and often shocking at the same time. The world needs more things than just that, in my humble opinion, but those can be left to other posts and/or blogs.
That's all for now. Until the next post, and as always, take care! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment